Dr. BALA BHARADVAJ
Dr. BALA BHARADVAJ
Leader of Engineering, Operations & Technology for Boeing India
Managing Director of Boeing Research & Technology-India
Dr. Bala Bharadvaj is currently Boeing’s leader of Engineering, Operations & Technology in India. He is also the MD of the Boeing Research & Technology Center in Bangalore. In these roles, he provides leadership to Boeing’s Research, Technology and Engineering activities in India, to develop new technologies and develop mutually beneficial partnerships with Academia, Government organizations, and industry.
Bala has been with Boeing since 1987, and worked in Southern California for over twenty years before relocating to India in 2009. He has held various leadership positions in Technology Development, Technology Integration, Engineering, Program Management and Strategic Planning. Prior to joining Boeing, he was a member of the faculty of the Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering at Boston University, Boston.
During his long career in academia and industry, Bala has contributed to a variety of projects spanning analysis, design, lab testing and flight testing. He has (A) developed computational codes for aerodynamic analysis of airplanes and helicopters; (B) held key leadership positions in major NASA-Industry aeronautical initiatives; (C) led teams to integrate new technologies into the C-17 strategic airlifter; and (D) led the development of long-range technology plans for Boeing Defense, Space & Security Systems.
During this journey, Bala has been recognized with several awards,
- “Monie Ferst Award for Best Ph.D. Thesis” from the Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society;
- “Team Excellence Award” and “Group Achievement Award” from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA);
- Recognized as a “Quality Hero” and “Process Management Role Model” by Boeing in Long Beach; and
- “Outstanding Achievement Award” from the American Society of Engineers of Indian Origin.
Bala holds multiple degrees in Engineering and Management:
- B.Tech. with Distinction in Aeronautical Engineering, from IIT Madras, India;
- M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Aerospace Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in the US; and
- MBA from the University of California at Irvine, California.
Dr. Bharadvaj has been inducted as an Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics, and a member of Beta-Gamma-Sigma Business Honor Society.
He is also a Vice President in SAEINDIA, where he Chairs the Aerospace Board.